Thursday, May 29, 2008

working girl (kendra)

Yesterday marked the end of my first project at Measured Progress. Which is why I am finally blogging again. :-) We were actually scheduled to finish tomorrow, but we got done a bit early. I am rather grateful for that because I was originally supposed to have all of next week off before starting my next project, but that has changed. They asked me to be a senior reader on the next project that I'm doing, which means that I'll be overseeing a small group of readers (and getting paid a little bit more!). It also means that I have to train starting Tuesday instead of having all of next week off. So I'm thankful for these extra couple of days to get caught up on things.

It's amazing how much less time there is to get all of the little things done when you're working full time! Okay I guess it's not really that surprising, but still...it's been an adjustment for me. It's been difficult because I can be pretty exhausted at the end of a day at work so I don't feel like I have the energy OR the time to get other things done. But that has definitely gotten better as I've adjusted to getting up early and working all day. And Jason has been a big help as usual...although I think he prefers it when I'm not working and can cook him dinner most nights, do all the dishes every day, etc. :-)

The project that I was on at work was a good one. I was scoring 4th grade writing and although I scored responses to the same prompt for nearly the entire month of May, the prompt was broad so there was a fair amount of variety in the responses. Especially given that they were written by 4th graders. Some of them were pretty amusing. The prompt being what it was, the kids were writing a lot about traditions they have...what they do for certain holidays, where they go on family vacations, etc. Reading all of them got me thinking about what traditions our little family is going to have. It got me excited about the prospect of developing our own traditions for holidays and vacations. One in particular that I began thinking about is visiting my parents in North Carolina with my sister and her family...having picnics at the lake house...the cousins playing together...having fun in the sun at the beach...you get the idea. It will be so much fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It WILL be so much fun!! :) I'm looking forward to all the fun times with Nathaniel and his new baby cousin!!!