Friday, October 17, 2008

falling in love

When Caleb was first born, I must admit he did seem like a bit of a stranger to me. Saying "I love you" just didn't seem too natural in the beginning. After all, I barely knew the little guy, right? But not so these days! I am curious how many times those words now escape my lips in just one day. This little man is precious! So adorable. So lovable. It is a neat picture of God's love for us. Caleb doesn't have to do anything to earn my love. I mean, there isn't all too much he can do at this stage, is there? But I am crazy in love with the little guy. And it seems like I fall more and more in love with him every day! Something as simple as a smile or a giggle from him can flood my heart with joy.

It is hard for me sometimes to understand how God can love me regardless of what I do or do not do...that there is nothing I can do to make Him love me any more or any less than He already does. I know that it's true, but it's hard to wrap my mind around it sometimes. It is easy to feel like we have to do things (or refrain from doing things) in order to be loved by God. I have, of course, experienced this sort of unconditional love from others in my lifetime (my husband being a prime example). But I am thankful for this additional bit of insight into the true love of God that I have received through my son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN to your words Of love.
Mom + Dad R.