Saturday, June 7, 2008

amazed (kendra)

We went in to the doctor's office last week for a regular appointment and after I left, I found myself pondering how amazingly God has designed our bodies. This whole pregnancy thing really is incredible. At the appointment, the midwife did all the usual checks and then said that my weight gain was right on track, my uterus was measuring perfectly, baby's heartbeat sounded great, etc. And as I drove home I was just awestruck at how well my body knows what it's doing. My body is very much able to grow a baby...with relatively little assistance from me.

I mean, it just seems that in order for my weight gain to be right on track, for example, I would need to be paying close attention to it and being careful to eat just the right amount. But not so. Granted, I do eat a relatively healthy diet. But I still don't feel like I've quite mastered eating the right amounts of food as frequently as I should. And yet, my weight gain is right on track. And then there's the fact that most people who have commented on the size of my belly have said how small I am for how far along I am in my pregnancy. And yet, my uterus is measuring perfectly. Which, of course, I've done absolutely nothing to control.

So anyway, it's all quite amazing...not only what my body is doing, but the fact that there is an actual baby growing inside of me! A baby that likes to stick his or her little butt in my ribs, but a baby all the same! :-)

No comments: